Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thursday 13........


(Graphic courtesy of Write from Karen)


Well...since I got such a great response from last week's Thursday 13....that little walk down memory lane, I thought I would do a part 2...Toy's and games from my childhood, that were some of my favorite toys, favorite childhood memories.
How many of these did you have?

1.) Dancerella Doll....



I had a lot of fun with this doll...until my brother gave it to the dog to play with...she never danced again after that.

2. ) Hello Kitty....



I loved anything Hello Kitty....you name it I had it....from a stuffed Hello Kitty, to notebooks, coloring books, shirts, socks, pens, lunch box....I was a Hello Kitty freak!

3. ) Little People...




I think I had the house and the airplane...maybe a tree house. I believe that this was the earliest memory of a toy I had...I was maybe 5 or 6....

4.) Smurfs...


Not only did I have just about every one of the figures, but I religiously watched the cartoon every single Saturday morning...I just loved Handy and Smurfette...



5.) Mrs. Beasley...from Family Affair, Do you remember that show?



I know...that doll was uglier than sin....but, I remember really loving her..as well as that little girl on the show, since she had one..I had one...I remember Mom giving her to me for my birthday...which is in September..I can remember taking her to the Christmas parade...sitting on top of my Moms Monte Carlo, covered with a blanket....ahh....sweet memories.


Now....let's move away from the "girly" stuff....incorporate some unisex toys...so that you guys might share in some of the memories...

6.) Pogo Stick...



Many a summer day was spent trying to master this thing...I could only bounce about 5 or 6 times, before falling off....my brother on the other hand...was quite good at it....I was never a very coordinated child.

7.) Flying turtle....



My brother and I used to have a blast with this thing....until one summer, he was riding it...I was peeved at him, because I wanted my turn...the little shit broke my darn toe with it...ran right over it...it was the fourth toe on my right foot...I think I was about 7, looked down and seen my toe dangling over the side of my foot, freaked the heck out, reached down, jerked it right back into place..lol..set the darn thing myself...lol.

8.) Atari....what a wonder that was....



Our Mom couldn't afford to get us one of these....but our cousins, who we played with all summer, our grandmother baby sat us while our Moms worked...well, they had one....we would fight over that thing....our favorite games of course were Donkey Kong, Pac Man and Frogger...by summers end, girlfriend here was kicking some Frogger and Pac Man butt....eventually, Mom got us a video game system for Christmas one year...it wasn't atari...can't quite recall the name of it....but it had like asteroids on it, couple of other games....

9.) Rubiks Cube...who didn't have one of these?


I never could solve the darn thing..came close a few times.....I remember my brother and I had a bet, to see who could solve thiers first...by summers end, I was at my wits end..so, I cheated....I took all the stickers off, changed them around to make it look like I solved it....boy, was my brother ticked when he found out....Sorry, Bro!

10.) Colorforms....
They had them for boys and girls....not sure what kind my brother had...Incredible hulk or something, but you get the picture...I think I had Hello Kitty, Smurfs and Stawberry Shortcake Colorforms...





11.) Spirograph....rainy day toy....loved this thing! It was a lot of fun to "draw" various pictures....I should try and find one for my kids now...eight year old would absolutely love it!


12.) Jaws game...another toy my brother and I fought over... came with a plastic shark with a spring-loaded jaw that snapped shut on a timer. The object was to use a small plastic gaff to remove as many small toy objects from the shark’s gullet as you could before the time ran out.


13.) Lastly...and I know, technically, this is not a toy..but this was a "shared" pasttime between my brother and I...reading this magazine.....

Mad magazine...we read every issue they had.....drove my Mom nuts...because she hated it...but, she would buy it for us...



Well....there you have it....I promise...this is the last walk down the toy memory lane...I honestly don't know if I could think of anymore....

So, tell me...which of these did you have?

Dixiechick...out!

12 comments:

Brittany said...

I still have my spirograph and I still have the rubix cube!

I had my atari for the longest time, and I think it finally died. LOVED the atari. I wish I still had it.

DIXIECHICK said...

Brittany...unfortunately, I don't have one single toy from my childhood...

DJ MotorCityMonk said...

I always hated Rubiks Cube - talk about a frustrating "game".

I had Spirograph and also read Mad Magazine - thought that was so funny at the time.

DIXIECHICK said...

Monk..yeah, Rubiks cube was a pain in the butt....that is why I gave up, took all the stickers off..lol...Man, I wished I had saved all those issues of Mad...8 year old would probably love em'...

Cynthia said...

2 & 4 baby, 2 & 4!!!

houseofeling said...

great tribute to the past. We still love hello kitty and little people over here....

Ken said...

I didn't have any of those toys. Actually, I had few toys. Maybe that's why I like buying superhero toys for my son. It's almost like buying the toys for me.

the planet of janet said...

mad magazine! my brother and i used to fight over who got to read it first!

DIXIECHICK said...

Nap...so, you were a Hello Kitty and smurf worshiper too? LOL...too funny!

Ellinghouse...yeah, I was able to share the little people with my little guys....they have since outgrown them, I have donated them all to GoodWill.....

Daddio...I think that was just about all that I had...now keep in mind, what I wrote about last week and then this week, were just about all of the toys I had my entire childhood....I did not get nearly as much as what I buy my kids today.

Janet..yeah, wasn't Mad magazine great...in fact, do they still publish it? If so, I should look for it for my boys...

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Anonymous said...

I must be older than you. I LOVED my Dancerina doll, which I believe I got somewhere around 1969. I also had the Spirograph, and my friend had a Mrs. Beasley Doll. Other friends had one of the first Ataris, but it only played "Pong" - way before Donkey Kong, etc.
All the Smurfs, Rubiks Cube, etc., didn't come out until I was older.
I had forgotten ALL about that Dancerina until I saw this - thanks for the memory!

DIXIECHICK said...

Nash...thanks for stopping by and sharing this trip down memory lane....

holly said...

i still have smurfs. wow. four words, street cred out the window.

and my dad was the guy in the navy who knew-where-to-get-stuff; you know, favors for favors for stuff....anyway, we *always* had stuff when it came out. atari, oh yea. but i was only allowed to play when he wasn't out on leave, cuz my mom didn't know how to hook it up.

and, i had oh so many colorforms. especially, you guessed it (actually, maybe you didn't)
hollie hobbie.

know what i had?
quiz wiz. did you ever see those? great for long car rides.