Thursday, April 24, 2008
AMERICAN IDOL....WHO WAS VOTED OFF?
The votes are in....and the next Idol to be going home.........
Carly Smithson was eliminated from American Idol after she sang the track from Jesus Christ Superstar...
there are several reasons circulating as to why Carly Smithson became the second shocking elimination of the season. Without further ado, here are Reality TV Magazine’s top ten reasons as to why Carly Smithson got the boot.
1. Kiss of Death – As Simon Cowell pointed out, a compliment from him can often be the kiss of death on American Idol. It’s not the first time a contestant has been sent packing after winning the praises of Mr. Cowell.
2. Cursed Tshirt – If receiving a compliment from Simon Cowell is the kiss of death, then what is prancing around on stage with a tshirt that says “Simon Loves Me.” Carly is lucky that she wasn’t struck dead by lightning right then and there.
3. Too Many Tattoos - While on some reality TV shows having a lot of tattoos is a good thing, it might not go over well with all of American Idol’s conservative viewer demographic.
4. Not From Around Here – While America might be the great melting pot, that doesn’t mean that all American Idol viewers are ready to see an Irish girl win American Idol. Michael Johns was the first shocking elimination of the season, and he was Australian. Could there be a trend?
5. Sang About Jesus - As evidenced by Idol Gives Back, anytime a song with any religious references is sung, then it is likely to offend at least some people. Could Andrew Lloyd Webber convincing Carly to switch her song have been an evil plot to get her eliminated?
6. Popularity Contest – Even though Jason Castro and Brooke White had worse performances, Brooke is very likable and Jason is charming. In the end, popularity means more than vocal ability.
7. Vote For The Worst – Brooke White has the support of Vote For The Worst, and their legion of followers could have helped give her enough votes to push her past both Syesha and Carly.
8. Failed Record Deal – While all the contestants might claim that previous experience doesn’t matter, American Idol viewers might not hold the same opinion. The fact that it was well-publicized in the news that Carly had a previous failed record deal might have cost her fans and votes.
9. Annoying Smile – While a nice smile or two can often help a performer connect to an audience, there can be too much of a good thing. Carly’s eyes-closed, wide-open-mouth smiles could have irritated some viewers.
10. Fans Thought She Was Safe – With some contestants having horrible nights, and Carly winning the praises of the judges, some of her fans might have assumed she was safe and not voted. This excuse seems to have been used in every other shocking elimination, so why not for Carly?
Just like with Michael Johns elimination a couple weeks ago..needless to say, I was shocked Carly went home. I was totally expecting it to be Brooke...just goes to show, with American Idol..you never know what is going to happen.
Do you think the right decision was made?
Who is ready for Lost to return tonight?
I know I am....hopefully, these upcoming episodes will answer a lot of questions I know we all have.....
Have a great Thursday everyone!