Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Take This Job And Shove It!!!!



Yesterday....I quit my job! UM....but, the Branch Manager wouldn't let me...

Here's the scoop...

You all know how much I hate my job and I dislike my Commercial Manager..i.e..Mr. Burns....well, yesterday, the shit literally hit the fan! I was at my desk, dutifully working, and he walks in, ranting and raving about an invoice for a sub contractor that we use...an improperly submitted invoice, by the contractor...an invoice without correct information on it,that two months ago I had called the subcontractor about, told them until we get proper information and a W-9..we could not process it for payment..I had to leave a message for them, as they didn't answer the phone...they never called back...so, yesterday, Mr. Burns had a meeting at an apartment complex in town, for some work he was going to sub contract them for...at the meeting, they asked Mr. Burns where there payment was...so, he came back to the office, bellowing/yelling at me, loudly and hatefully...I calmly looked at him, trying to explain my end of the deal, and told him not to yell at me.....he continued on and on and on, ranting and raving, I calmly stood up, looked at him and said, "I Quit...I have put up with enough !"...I went to the restroom, stood in the stall and started crying, "Oh, shit...oh, shit, oh, shit...I just quit my job, two months before Christmas, and I just quit my job"....Hubby had already emailed me that morning, telling me to quit before hand, as we had just had a discussion about it the night before and that morning, before I came to work....yet, I freaked out! I went into my Office Managers office (she is new, 3 weeks-not really, she worked here several years ago and came back, and is also a friend of mine) and she had heard Mr. Burns yell at me, said it was totally uncalled for and he was out of line, but for me to please reconsider, please not quit...I told her how I have been feeling for a long time about my job, how much I have come to loathe it ...she understood, but begged me to reconsider...

I came back into my office and Mr. Burns was on the phone and I started packing up all my personal stuff (pictures of my kids, candles, drawings the kids made me, etc.) and he immediately lies and tells the person on the phone that he had an urgent meeting that came up and he had to go....he jumped up from behind his desk and came right up behind me, saying things like, "Donna, please don't do this...stop! I need you..I can't do this without you"....blah, blah, blah.......he came around to the front of my desk and started yelling, "I am sorry I am not Tony (Tony was my former commercial manager and I totally thought the world of him)...You have never liked me, because I am not Tony" on and on, whaaa whaaa...as he was yelling this, extremely loudly, like a crazed psycho..my Branch Manager who is across the hall, came into our office, told Mr. Burns to, basically, sit down and shut up....He reamed Mr. Burn's ass, told him he heard him yelling at me across the hall and there was absolutely no excuse for it...Mr. Burns immediately started apologizing..."I am so sorry Donna...I was on a job site, yelling across the property and didn't realize I had not toned it down"...bull shit! He was trying to cover his ass with our boss...at this point, and I hate when I do this, but I was in tears...streaming down my face...my Branch Manager pulls up a chair, and basically begs me to reconsider...telling me, "We have been together a long time, please reconsider this...I don't want to lose such an exceptional employee, the company doesn't want to lose you"....like I said, blah, blah, blah....

I mean, I was going to walk out the door, right then, right there....but, I do like my Branch Manager and my Office Manager, and I couldn't do that to them...I told him I would think about it, he said that was all he could ask, but if I were going to quit, to please give them a couple weeks.....he then continued to ream Mr. Burn's....also telling him he needed to relax, calm down and quit being so off the wall all the time....

For the rest of the day, I had bouts of crying spells, and Mr. Burns didn't speak to me hardly at all....I emailed hubby, asked him what I should do, he still tells me to quit...

Right now, this morning, I don't know where I stand....I am scared...as it is so close to Christmas and without my income, I doubt the kids will have Christmas and I can't do that to them..I have to have a job lined up...so, I am torn...I had a very sleepless night last night....I am sure there are going to be many more sleepless nights until I figure out what to do...this job is like a cancer, it continues to break me down, mentally and emotionally.....I know I have to make a change...if not now, the first of the year.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dixie...I am sorry things got so freaking crazy at work. I think Mr Burns is a TOTAL ASS for treating his GOOD employee in such a disrespectful manner. He needs some re-training on how to deal with employees. You aren't his kid nor his wife and he CANNOT talk to you like that. I hope you can get on careerbuilder or a job website and find something else soon. I know what you mean about 2 months before Christmas...you gotta do what you gotta do tho. Best of luck!!

Steph said...

Maybe this was the wakeup call that he needed? MAYBE he will be so scared he will calm the fuck down now and treat you with some respect! And at least you know the Office and Branch Manager are on your side...

maybe just try staying for a bit, and if he keeps acting up, go to the Branch Manager now that he has seen Mr. Burns in action. Its worth a try for 2 months...

Sicilian said...

Dix. . . it is easy to sit here for me and tell you what to do. . . I don't have to face your kids at Christmas. . . . I would say go. . . He is not going to change and you may have a lull in the action for a bit. . . . but you know. . . . he will do it again.
Start working your other options.
Ciao

Seals said...

I hope this incident has given the branch manager some insight into this dickbag. If nothing else, it gives you a clear opportunity to go to the branch manager and let him know everything this asshole has been doing.

I agree that you definitely need to start looking for another job.

Hang in there.

judy in ky said...

I have had SO many bosses like that... where do they learn to be such asses? I sure hope Karma is true!