Thursday, October 16, 2008

Just a little on the nervous side.....



I am kind of a nervous person....I worry over everything, some things much more than I should....I always tend to think the worst of any situation, beforehand, during and after...

That is why today...I am a nervous wreck....tonight is parent/teacher conferences for my two youngest boys....

As I have stated in an earlier post, my nine year old has ADD...we have been up and down some major roller coaster rides, including his diagnosis, repeat of first grade...and still, in second grade, there are some slight issues...just due to him not always reading directions, checking his work...which has caused some D test grades to be brought home....I am sure that issue will come up tonight during the conference...overall, he is doing much much better this year. Most grades are A's and B's....so, his conference shouldn't go too badly.

See, my main nervousness comes from the conference scheduled for my smallest monkey...

Max...


This child just doesn't seem to get it...this is his first year in "real" school, he is in all day kindergarten....and he's not doing so well...The first week of school, he had a note sent home from the teacher...for talking too much. This child honestly, never, ever, ever shuts up...his mouth is like high speed internet, or a CD set to replay repeat...over and over...on and on and on.....we are constantly telling him, "Max, please be quiet"....allllllllll day long!!! He is a people pleaser, and an entertainer...he feels that it is his duty to make people laugh, be the entertainer, the crowd pleaser, and he is everybody's friend...seriously, I'm not kidding....even the older kids in the school..they know Max...his work he has brought home, is not up to par, just how should I say this...half-assed effort??? Anyway, his Dad and I have been on him pretty hard, and his Grandma works with him too on the things he needs to learn to succeed in kindergarten....he is not dumb, in fact he is very smart, but he does not put forth the effort that he should...

Also, his kindergarten teacher is the same one Aaron had and her and I just didn't see eye to eye...in fact, at the time, before Aaron's diagnosis, she told me during the first conference, "Aaron is like the absent minded professor"....um, that pissed me off! Instead of trying to help Aaron, she blew him off, telling me she had too many kids in her class to focus more time on Aaron...so, he was passed to first grade, and we had that first year from hell, let me tell you..his first grade teacher was wonderful, along with Resource teachers and the principal, some testing, and a visit to a pediatrician, more tests...we figured out where Aaron needed help, we got it and he is doing much better....

Now, Max has this same kindergarten teacher...I don't like her, I don't care for her and I wish that I could have switched Max teachers..but, I didn't want to cause any conflict at the school....she isn't untrained, in fact she has won a Teacher of the year award...I just don't like her, or her attitude....she doesn't seem to truly care about the job she does and the impact she has on the kids she teaches...

Anyway, they selected Max to be in the Title 1 resource program....because currently, he is not meeting state standards...he went to pre-school, his Grandma and I both have worked with him, we know he can get it, he is just not doing it at school...so, they will take Max out of class, three times a week, for a half hour each time, and the resource teacher will work with him one on one....

That will hopefully get him headed in the right direction....

So, I am not looking forward to the conference....I hope she doesn't say anything to piss me off and I hope the conference is not full of negatives...

Keep your fingers crossed for Max....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you stay calm but I also hope the Kingergarten teacher doesn't say something stupid. How unprofessional of her to say that about your child!! I am surprised you didn't go to the school board. Good luck tonight!!